Sep 15, 2020
So thrilled to welcome Chris Satch
back to the show for an UNBELIEVABLE, comprehensive conversation on
all things WATERING! We cover everything from top watering, bottom
watering, troubleshooting, how to identify root rot and many
listener questions. This is not an episode to miss if you have any
questions around watering your plants!
Have you taken the 2020 Bloom and Grow Radio Listener Survey
- Please take 5 minutes to take this survey and be a part of the
future of Bloom and Grow Radio and Media! I did this survey 2 years
ago and it was INSTRUMENTAL in planning episode topics and
community resources. I can't wait to hear from you!
Check out my youtube video on how I
water my plants
In this episode we learn:
- [5:00]What Chris is loving in his collection lately
- A quick overview on how to propagate fern spores
- How to grow mosses
- [12:30] What BAGR listeners are struggling with when it comes
to how to water your plants
- [13:00] Why is watering so important to our plants?
- [14:20] What are xylem and phloem and how do the affect
- [15:40] What is transpiration?
- [16:20] The connection between soil moisture and light
- [18:18] How humidity affects transpiration and our plants
- [21:15] What are microclimates and how do they affect
- [23:30] Watering Hack #1: Group Plants with Similar Needs
- [24:50] Chris's opinion on Top Watering Vs Bottom Watering
- [26:20 ] Best Top Watering Practices
- [29:00] Maria's (STRONG) opinion about care cards and watering
- [30:50] What does "water when dry" mean- how many inches of
soil should the top of the soil dry out
- [32:42] Watering Hack #2: Use the pot weight to understand how
heavy soil saturation feels and get to know how a dry pot feels
like as well
- [36:20] What is the ideal temperature for watering your
- [36:50] How to leave water in the catch tray of your pot with
- [ 40:20] Best Bottom Watering Practices
- [42:10] Chris's issues with Bottom Watering
- [46:34] Root Rot: what it is, how do we fix it, how can we
- [48:30] Signs that you've under watered your plant
- [48:40] Signs that you've over watered your plant
- [49:50] Maria's honest experience about overwatering her plants
- [55:30] How Chris saves his plants from root rot
- [55:50] Chris's (STRONG) opinion about self watering pots
- [1:01:22] The truth about spritzing (you might not like
- [1:01:53] How brown tips can actually be a sign on fungal
infection and not humidity or underwatering
- [1:06] How to use fungicide to treat brown edges on a
- [1:07] Why using warm water is important for watering
- [1:07:30] Where the ice cube watering myth started, why it's
bogus and why you shouldn't use this method
- [1:08] Tap water vs distilled water vs rain water = does the
type of water you water your plants with actually matter?
- [1:10:00]What white spots on leaves are and how to remove
- [1:10:10] Hack # 3: use lemon juice to remove white spots
- [1:11:43] When during the day should you water?
- [1:11:55] Do you water your plant before you repot? or leave it
with dry soil?
Mentioned in our conversation:
Thanks to our episode sponsors!
Espoma Organics: for responsibly
made, fabulous indoor and outdoor organic soils, fertilizers, pest
control sprays and more visit espoma.com to find
your local dealer or check out my amazon storefront of my favorite Espoma products here.
Soltech Solutions Luxury
Grow Lights: Whether its simply getting through the lower light
winter- or if you’re like me and you’ve just got too many
plants and too few windows and need to bring more light
indoors so your collection can keep growing- Soltech Solutions has
the luxury lighting option for you! Soltech is offering BAGR listeners 20% off with
code 20BLOOM at soltechsolutions.com
once again thats soltechsolutions.com and code 20BLOOM at checkout
Follow Maria and Bloom
and Grow Radio:
Take the Bloom and Grow Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get
the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by
becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Instagram and Facebook: @BloomandGrowRadio
Subscribe to the Bloom and Grow
Youtube Show! /Bloomandgrowradio
Join the (free) Garden Club: