Apr 6, 2021
Do any of you remember that store in the mall that sold mini
bonsai trees and meditative water features? I was pretty obsessed
with them as a kid and was so taken with these tiny trees, all the
miniaturization of these beautiful, serene scenes. I definitely had
and killed several of those trees in my teenage years, and I’m put
at ease to hear I’m not the only one after speaking to many of you
on Instagram about bonsai and our guest today, Bjorn from Eisei-en
Bonsai. We cover a lot about this niche hobby of bonsai within an
already niche of plant care, so let's get to it!
Don't forget to subscribe to the podcast,
so you don't miss the amazing episodes we have coming
In this episode we learn:
- [00:04:44] How Bjorn became the bonsai expert he is today
- [00:05:35] How long does a bonsai apprenticeship take? What are
typical duties for a bonsai apprentice?
- [00:07:31] Bjorn shares his experience in Japan and being an
- [00:09:16] How to properly pronounce ‘bonsai’ and what it
- [00:09:40] What is a bonsai? How do you classify a tree as a
- [00:10:56] Can you turn any tree into a bonsai?
- [00:11:54] Apical dominance vs lateral dominance
- [00:14:14] How to measure bonsais and the different bonsai size
classifications: shohin and chuhin
- [00:16:03] Where did bonsais originate from?
- [00:17:43] How do you differentiate between indoor bonsais and
outdoor bonsais? What are great plants for both types?
- [00:19:29] How much light do bonsais need?
- [00:20:25] The basic bonsai potting mix: pumice, lava rock, and
akadama (yes, it’s Japanese!)
- [00:22:01] How much fertilizer does your bonsai need? What kind
of fertilizer should you apply to your bonsai?
- [00:23:26] Bonsai and teabags: how to ‘tea’ your bonsai when
- [00:24:19] Why growing bonsais is about practicing control
- [00:25:00] How to take care of sick bonsai trees and what the
long-term goal is for growing bonsais
- [00:26:02] What bonsais can teach us about patience
- [00:26:20] Where to get the best soil mixes for all plant
- [00:27:36] How to keep deer and wildlife from your garden
- [00:29:27] Do you want your bonsais to bloom?
- [00:30:51] How often should you water bonsais? Bjorn gives us
the how-to and why’s on watering bonsais
- [00:34:32] Bonsai and shade cloths: where should you place your
bonsai? What is a bonsai’s ideal light situation?
- [00:36:20] Bonsai pruning 101
- [00:37:32] Plant nerd facts: what are the growth hormones auxin
and cytokine and what do they do?
- [00:40:05] Why are bonsai trees in small and shallow pots?
- [00:41:20] How much of a bonsai tree’s roots should you
- [00:42:48] Why spring is the best time to prune your
- [00:43:41] Root galls and how to properly remove them
- 00:45:58] How do you prune bonsai shoots? When and how do you
use copper or aluminum wires to shape your bonsai?
- [00:49:32] The concept of mochikomi
- [00:50:28] The biggest mistakes people make when it comes to
- [00:52:08] Bjorn’s recommendations for beginner bonsai
- [00:55:39] Where to get the best bonsais online
- [00:56:43] Winterizing your bonsai tree
- [00:58:27] What is the best bonsai tree pest treatment?
- [01:00:10] Why everyone should try bonsai!
Mentioned in our conversation:
Thank you to our episode sponsors:
For responsibly made, fabulous indoor and outdoor organic soils,
fertilizers, pest control sprays, and more, visit espoma.com to find your local dealer
or check out my Amazon storefront of my favorite Espoma products here.
DeerBusters strives to protect the gardens of companies and
individuals through high-quality wildlife fencing. Deer and
wildlife can be the bane of any gardener's existence and Deer
Busters makes installing deer fences, simple with their easy to
install fencing kits that come in several different materials and
sizes. No fancy hardware needed. Visit deerbusters.com today to protect your plants
tomorrow and use code BLOOM at checkout for 10% off.
Follow Maria and Bloom and Grow Radio:
Take the Bloom and Grow Plant Parent Personality
Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational
resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend
Instagram and Facebook: @BloomandGrowRadio
Subscribe to the Bloom and Grow Youtube Show! /Bloomandgrowradio
Join the (free) Garden Club: www.bloomandgrowradio.com/garden-club