Apr 13, 2021
I think we all know that there are a lot of lessons to be
learned in the garden and that's twofold: literally how to garden
and how to grow food, reconnect with our food chain, and deepen our
relationship with nature. I am so excited to deepen my gardening
knowledge this summer with My First Garden Series, where I
troubleshoot and try my first shot at outdoor gardening outside of
the tiny balcony garden that I have had since I've launched the
show. In this episode, I invite Nicole from Gardenary for an
in-depth garden coaching, sprinkled with wonderful insights about
self-love, reconnecting with nature, and just life in general.
Let’s dive in!
Don't forget to subscribe to the podcast,
so you don't miss the amazing episodes we have coming
In this episode we learn:
- [00:04:40] The exciting news for the Bloom and Grow
- [00:08:23] Who is Nicole Burke of Gardenary, how she turned
into a gardener, and how gardening has helped her regain her sense
- [00:11:37] How the idea behind Gardenary came to be and
Nicole’s ultimate dream for the company
- [00:15:10] Maria shares her first garden experience, her
gardening education, and what she hopes to accomplish this
- [00:16:47] The advantages of raised bed gardening vs row
gardening and in-ground gardening
- [00:18:03] The minimum space, cost, and time requirements for
- [00:22:07] Nicole’s raised bed suggestion for long and
rectangular plots of land and how to work with constraints in your
- [00:25:20] What is the maximum width for a garden bed? How much
space should you put in between your garden beds?
- [00:30:43] How to address garden planning overwhelm and why
Nicole believes gardening shouldn’t take time
- [00:32:45] Why setting up your garden properly is doing 90% of
- [00:34:37] Maria shares her favorite stroll and gardening
- [00:36:25] Where to get the best grow lights for all plant
needs and the best seed starter packages for this season!
- [00:39:06] The best gardening advice Maria has gotten from her
- [00:39:54] Nicole shares the meaning behind her saying “think
about nature” and how to reshape our thinking when it comes to
plants and their growing abilities
- [00:43:47] Which plants should you mix in in your bed? How
understanding plant families and the best seasons to grow them can
give you the best yield
- [00:47:04] Should you be mindful of shading when combining
large plants with smaller ones? Nicole shares the better factors
that you should consider: temperature and timing
- [00:49:39] Where should you face your beds?
- [00:50:53] Should you start flowers from seeds or from
seedlings? What are the best flowers to grow for beginners?
- [00:54:06] The best smaller sunflowers to grow and where to
place them in your garden bed
- [00:55:25] Since most trellises are expensive, can you make a
trellis on your own?
- [00:57:20] How many cherry tomato plants do you need to achieve
Nicole’s amazing tomato arch?
- [00:59:27] Can you grow more than one plant on one trellis?
Nicole shares some garden style tips when growing vines
- [01:00:46] The magic of gardening and what this hobby teaches
us about life and growth
- [01:01:27] Why everyone should try kitchen gardening
- [01:05:02] Maria’s current garden situation and what she is
looking forward to!
Mentioned in our conversation:
Thank you to our episode sponsors:
Allagash Brewing Company
Allagash Brewing Company is an amazing brewery and b corporation
out of Portland, Maine that has just come out with Fine Acre: an
organic beer that’s the perfect accompaniment to your indoor and
outdoor gardening practices this spring and summer! Fine Acre’s
launch supports organic gardening and farming, so we are
celebrating with the Beer Gardening with Allagash Sweepstakes! The
prize is insanely planty with over $3000 of gardening goodies. Head
over to allagash.com for mechanics
on how to join the giveaway! Fine Acre and other Allagash beers are
for drinkers 21+. Please drink responsibly.
Modern Sprout is connecting people and plants with their
fabulous lines of grow lights, seed starter kits, and all sorts of
planty products that empower people to cultivate their own indoor
oasis, whether you live in a studio apartment or a sprawling
farmhouse, with simple, stylish and sustainable green-thumb
solutions for every home. They just launched new products like
their seed starter kits and gift sets so head to modernsprout.com to check all their products
out and use code 15bloom at checkout.
Gardenary | Rooted Garden
Follow Maria and Bloom and Grow Radio:
Take the Bloom and Grow Plant Parent Personality
Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational
resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend
Instagram and Facebook: @BloomandGrowRadio
Subscribe to the Bloom and Grow Youtube Show! /Bloomandgrowradio
Join the (free) Garden Club: www.bloomandgrowradio.com/garden-club